Japan is world’s 4th largest island country, comprising 6,852 islands. Hokkaido, Honshu Shikoku and Kyushu are the major islands of Japan. Japan’s total area is 377,915 km2 of which 364,485 km2 is covered by land and the remaining 13,430 km2 area is covered by water. Japan has 47 prefectures. The closest neighbor country to Japan is Russia and other neighboring countries are Korea, China and Taiwan.

The lowest and highest point of Japan is Hachirogata (4 m from sea level)- Akita Prefecture and Mount Fuji (3,776.24 m from sea level) respectively. Japan has mostly rugged and mountainous terrain and 68.55% of its land is covered by the forest. It stands in 12th rank (4th in Asia) in ranking of the World Heritage Sites. Himeji-jō of Hyōgo prefecture, Shirakami Sanchi of Akita prefecture, Itsukushima Shrine of Hiroshima etc are some of the name of the World Heritage Site. And if we talk about weather of Japan, it has four distinct seasons with a climate starting from warm subtropical to south and cool continental to north. In spite of its beautiful climate, natural hazards like; volcanoes, earth quakes, typhoons, tsunamis etc can be a great risk.

 Japan has the longest life expectancy in the world that is approximately 84 years.  Though it ranks 1st in the world for longest life expectancy and still stands in 11th place in the list of countries by population, the population has been decreasing year by year. The number accounted for 127,533,934 in 2000 AD declined to 126,675,990 in 2019 AD. Having 3rd economic power in the world, Japan contributes second highest amount to UN after the U.S. It is on the top among the countries to operate industrial robots and in the 3rd place for production of the automobile in the world.

 Japan has been spending a huge budget on research and development after USA and China. It holds 10th place for best country for education, and its degree is also globally accepted. Japan stands on the top for receiving Nobel Prize in Asia and seventh in the world. What’s more, Japan is known for being the best in mathematics raking 1st in the list. There are 618 universities in Japan with graduate programs of which 86 are national universities, 75 are public universities establishes by local entities and remaining 457 are private universities. Japan is also known for being in 10th rank of Global Peace Index in the world and 1st in Asia. This is therefore a good destination to study and live for the international students.  

World Class Education, Science and Technology

Japan, which lacked resources, has achieved economic growth as a major manufacturing nation because of its knowledge and skills cultivated through excellent education. Japan has been introducing the world’s most advanced scientific and medical products, such as electric vehicles, digital cameras, optical fibers, and artificial hearts. Instant ramen, karaoke, etc., which changed the world’s eating habits, originated in Japan. Japan is rooted in a culture of constantly creating creative products. Also, Japanese schools have earned high praise from international students for not only their academic ability, but also for their humanity, and that they are useful after they enter society.

The OECD ranks Japanese high school students number one in the world for math, and number 2 for scientific literacy. Japan has the highest number of Nobel Prize winners of any Asian country, and within the top ten of any country in the world. Around half of Japanese High School graduates enter university. Japan has over 700 universities, with 10 ranked in the top 200 worldwide.

International Environment

Studying abroad in Japan offers you the chance to learn about not just Japan but also about the whole world. Around 300,000 international students from around 180 regions and countries are now studying at Japanese universities, Japanese language institutes, and other schools here. In addition, more and more Japanese institutions are offering degree programs in English so that the need to learn Japanese does not become a barrier. Japan is also a tolerant nation where the constitution guarantees freedom of religion and thought.

Comfortable Living Environment

Japan is one of the safest countries in the world. Violent crime is rare, with Japan ranking last in the number of victims of crime per capita (nationmaster.com). Japan regularly turns up on lists of the safest places to visit in the world. This is a country where international students who are worried about leaving their home country can live with peace of mind. Japan is also famous for its easy living in the world. Transportation also arrives on time, departs and delivers safely and safely to your destination. Japan also has one of the world’s most advanced healthcare systems, reflected in this high life expectancy. Members of the National Health Insurance scheme pay only 30% of their healthcare costs, with a trip to the doctor or dentist often costing only a few hundred yen (few dollars).

Affordable Academic Fees

Academic fees in Japan are much lower than in the United States or the United Kingdom. In fact, tuition at Japan’s national universities is about one-third that of public universities in the United States. There are also various financial support programs for international students in Japan, including scholarships, tuition reductions and waivers

Fascinating Culture

Japan is rich in nature, surrounded by the sea, where you can enjoy the spring, summer, autumn, and winter seasons. There are many world heritage sites in Japan, including Mt. Fuji, which is a symbol of Japan, Himeji Castle and Itsukushima Shrine. Japanese food, registered as a World Intangible Cultural Heritage, incorporates seasonal ingredients and supports Japan as a long-lived great country as a colorful and healthy dish. The Japanese values ​​discipline and is said to be a serious national character. Also, in Japan, the spirit of “hospitality” that takes into consideration the other person is deeply rooted and welcomes international students.

Rich Nature and Culture

Japan is known for its rich natural environment and four very distinct seasons of spring, summer, fall and winter. Surrounded by the sea, Japan has fostered a unique culture since ancient times. Traditional culture such as the tea ceremony and flower arrangement now coexists with pop culture elements such as anime and manga. Washoku—meaning Japanese cuisine—which is listed as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage, is popular around the world for its colorful and healthy dishes made with seasonal ingredients.

Improving Your Employability

Study abroad is an impressive part of any resume. Employers value the skills you learn as an international student. The personal growth you will undergo studying in Japan, interacting with your professors, classmates, tutors and friends, will help improve your international awareness and employment opportunities. Internationally aware employees are in strong demand, and many companies actively recruit students with overseas learning experience – especially if they are able to speak a second language. If you choose to return home after graduation, you can be confident that your experience in Japan will help you appeal to high-quality employers, particularly those involved in international business. For those wishing to remain in Japan, there is a strong job market for highly qualified graduates. In a recent survey, around half of the major Japanese companies surveyed expressed a desire to hire foreigners graduating from Japanese institutions.

Being one of the world’s most diverse and welcoming countries, and it is something for which we take great pride. In fact, of Australia’s 24 million population, almost half (47%) of all Australians were either born overseas or have one parent born overseas. We also know a thing or two about languages, with more than 260 languages spoken in Australian homes: in addition to English, the most common are Mandarin, Italian, Arabic, Cantonese and Greek.

Australia’s diversity and friendly attitude is matched by its economic stability. To date, Australia has experienced more than 20 years of continued economic growth, weathering the 2008 global financial crisis better than most advanced economies. And Australia is as competitive on the global economic stage as it is in the world’s sporting arenas! Not surprising, with more than 120 certified sports organizations around the country, covering popular activities such as AFL, cricket, football (soccer), rugby league, golf, tennis, netball and hockey to name just a few.

You may not know but Australia is the biggest island in the world, the sixth-biggest country in the world in land area, and the only nation to govern an entire continent. Within this expansive country, there are more than 500 national parks and more than 2,700 conservation areas, ranging from wildlife sanctuaries to Aboriginal reserves. There are also seventeen UNESCO World Heritage sites – more than any other country – including the Great Barrier Reef, Kakadu National Park, Lord Howe Island Group, Tasmanian Wilderness, Fraser Island and the Sydney Opera House.

But many people around the world know Australia for being a beautiful country. It also has world-class infrastructure, with five of the top 40 cities with the best infrastructure in the world. It also has a reputation for building ‘big’ things – over 150 in fact from the Big Banana in New South Wales, to the Big Koala in Victoria, the Big Mango in Queensland, and the Big Ram in Western Australia. It’s worth a trip to see them all!

With all these wonderful attributes around Australia, It has good reason to be happy. So much so, it was recently ranked as one of the happiest country in the world.

World Class Education

Australia is recognized as a great place to live – but did you know Australia also offers a world class education? The Australian education system has produced scientists, designers, educators, entrepreneurs, artists and humanitarians who have changed the world, winning awards from Oscars to Nobel prizes. Their global achievements include the “black box” now on every airplane, the Earth hour initiative, and the invention of Wi-Fi. Australia is proud of the individuals who have studied and worked in Australia (whether they were born here or another country) and gone on to achieve great things and contribute to making the world a better place.

Global Recognition

By studying in Australia, you will receive a qualification that’s recognized and sought after around the world. The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) allows students to easily move through the education system here and provides an easy way for countries around the world to recognize your qualification, and issue the comparable qualifications for local use. Visit the AQF website (https://www.aqf.edu.au/) for more information.

Quality Assurance

For over 20 years Australia has led the world in putting in place systems and processes to ensure that international students receive the high quality education they expect. These measures include:

  • The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 (https://internationaleducation.gov.au), which sets out the legal framework governing delivery of education to overseas students studying in Australia on a student visa.
  • The Tuition Protection Service (https://tps.gov.au/), which helps you find an alternative course or refund your unspent tuition fees in the rare case that your institution (education provider) can’t continue to offer your course.
  • The Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) (https://www.asqa.gov.au) is the national regulator for Australia’s vocational education and training sector. ASQA regulates courses and training providers to ensure nationally approved quality standards are met.
  • The Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) (https://www.teqsa.gov.au/) regulates and assures the quality of Australia’s higher education sector. It undertakes both compliance assessments and quality assessments.
  • Ombudsman organizations that can investigate complaints about problems that international students have with their institutions. You can find out more about these organizations on the Support Services page in the Australian Education section of this website.

International students rate Australia highly

In 2012, the Australian Government, in collaboration with peak education bodies and state/territory government education departments, conducted a survey of current international students to obtain information about their living and learning experience in Australia. The key findings of the survey included:

  • 87% of international student respondents are ‘satisfied’ or ‘very satisfied’ with their overall experience in Australia.
  • 86% of international student respondents are ‘satisfied’ or ‘very satisfied’ with their study experience in Australia.
  • 88% of international student respondents are ‘satisfied’ or ‘very satisfied’ with living in Australia.

Your learning environment

By choosing to study in Australia, you will join hundreds of thousands of students from Australian and all over the world – including many from your home country – who are discovering new friends and opportunities in this beautiful country. You will work closely with classmates, researchers, instructors, and other faculty – collaboration is a key part of our students’ successes. And in many cases you can gain practical and hands-on training in the industry in which you are studying. This combination of teamwork, shared learning, and industry focus will provide you with a leading edge for your further studies and career.

Australia – a research intensive country

Australia has a long and proud tradition of world class research and development that has benefited millions around the world. From the discovery of penicillin in 1945 and the discovery of acquired immunological tolerance in 1960, through to observations which led to the discovery of the accelerating Universe in 2011. Australia has a proud record of contributing to the benefits of the world:

  • Through the Backing Australia’s Ability initiative, A$2.9 billion will be invested over the next five years to fund research that will stimulate economic and scientific innovation.
  • Australia is investing over A$140 million will be spent over the next five years to establish Federation Fellowships. The fellowships aim to recruit world-class researchers to Australia, with up to five of the fellowships each year awarded to high-profile non-Australian researchers from overseas.
  • There are 35 special Research Centers and Key Centers of Teaching and Research based at Australian universities undertaking high-level research, and providing a diverse range of undergraduate, postgraduate and specialized professional education courses in a variety of fields.
  • Australia has established an additional 63 Cooperative Research Centers which foster joint research between universities and private industry.

With about 50,000 people in higher education organizations involved in R&D, Australia has a strong research and development (R&D) capabilities. The world famous Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), the biggest government R&D agency in Australia, is one of the world’s largest and most diverse research institutions. It’s is involved in more than 740 research activities with scientific organizations and agencies in more than 80 countries and undertakes research in fields such as health, agribusiness, information technology, manufacturing, sustainable energy, mining and minerals, space, the environment and natural resources.

Planning Your Studies in Japan



Degrees and Titles


Doctoral Degree


Economics? Education? Physics? Engineering? Information Science? Medicine? Agriculture? Design and Art? Fashion?      Animation?

Graduate School

3-5 years

Master’s Degree

Graduate School

2 years

Bachelor’s Degree


4 years (6 years for medicine, dentistry, veterinary and Pharmacy)

Advance Diploma

Professional Training


4 years


Professional Training


2-3 years

Associate Degree

College of Technology

3 years (3 years and 6 months for some)

Associate Degree

Junior College

2 years (3years for some)


2  Short- term Study Experiences

Short- term Study

·         Japanese Language

·         Japanese Culture

·         Comparative Culture

Japanese Language Institute, Short- term University Program

Several months- 1 year

Student Exchange     Program


Up to 1 year


3.Japanese Language Learning

Language acquisition

·         University entry course

·         Japanese conversation

·         Business Japanese

Japanese Language institute

Up to 2 years

University entry

Japanese Language institute

Up to 2 years

Preparatory Japanese Language programs offered at private universities and junior colleges

1-2 years


  1. Graduate school doctorate programs are sometimes divided into the first phase (two years ) and the second phase (three years) The required period of undergraduate study in medicine, dentistry and veterinary and certain pharmaceutical programs is six years, and the duration of their graduate (doctorate) programs is four years.
  2. It is possible for junior college graduates to earn a bachelor’s degree by completing one or two-year advanced courses after graduation.
  3. The required period of study at a college of technology is normally five years, but international students are accepted from the third year. It is possible for college of technology graduates to earn a bachelor’s degree by completing two-year advanced courses after graduation.
  4. “Associate” at the college of technology and “diploma” and “advanced diploma” at the specialized training college listed above are academic titles, not degrees.
  5. After completing an advanced course in a junior college or college of technology authorized by the National Institution for Academic Degrees and Quality Enhancement of Higher Education (NIAD-QE), you can obtain a bachelor’s degree if you pass the examination set by the NIAD-Q Please check the details with the school you are applying to.

Degree Programs in English

As Japanese universities become more globalized, there have emerged programs at universities and graduate schools in which students can obtain a degree by taking classes only in English, and Japanese language learning poses no obstacle. However, no such programs exist at colleges of technology and professional training colleges.

The academic evaluation technique in Japan is highly methodical. Constant attention is juxtaposed between the highs and lows candidate’s. The marking system is simplistic, for the parents to follow. As and when the student reaches the higher realms of education, he is introduced to an elaborative marking set up.

The performance based grading system in Japanese education varies from school to school and university to university. The most common pattern of grading is done into percentages or into grades like A, B, C, D, E. Each grade denotes certain range of percentage. Grading Scales




Grade Description

US Grade



 90.00 – 100.00



 Rarely given


 90.00 – 100.00





 80.00 – 89.99

 Very Good




 70.00 – 79.99





 60.00 – 69.99





 0.00 – 59.99









For assessment of college or university students, grading system is on 5 scales i.e. A, S, B, C and F. If any student fails in any subject at degree level or postgraduate level, then he/she has to take the exam of same subject again in the following semester.
4-Scale University



 Grade Description

 US Grade


 80.00 – 100.00

 Very good



 80.00 – 100.00

 Very good



 70.00 – 79.99




 60.00 – 69.99

 Average, Pass



 0.00 – 59.99



This grading system is for the assessment of the performance of the students as well as for   encouraging poor and bright students. The grading system brings fluidity within the education system and facilitates better learning environment. Even if any candidate fails to pass the exam, few more attempts are given to clear the exams and get qualified for the entitlement of the degree.

 The grading system has eliminated unhealthy competition among high achievers. It has also helped students to become more confident and reduce exam phobia.  But, the only negative concern about the whole grading system is that the meritorious candidates feel disregarded for their hard work.

Nevertheless, the grading system is buoyant and presents a scope for improvement in performance of students in future qualifying examinations.

The Association for the Promotion of Japanese Language Education was established in 1989 with the approval of the Ministry of education, culture, sports, science and technology, the Ministry of justice and the Ministry foreign affairs with the aim of improving the overall quality of Japanese language institutions to create a better environment for students.

The association sets guidelines that each institution must meet in order to become accredited. They cover items like considerations of the student’s study environment, ensuring that the school admits only those with the correct application documents, and reimbursement rules regarding school fees. It should be noted that (1) an institution must voluntarily apply for accreditation (2) one standard is that the institution must offer long-term courses (one year or over), meaning that language schools which only provide short-term general purpose study courses cannot qualify for accreditation.

The accreditation is not a guarantee of the quality of teaching at the institution. Indeed, recently established language schools without any reported registered students (or in some cases even a website…) can become accredited with the requisite document checks. It seems that the association exists more to ensure that language schools do not merely serve to provide a visa to enter Japan, as well as to report statistics on foreign student numbers and trends each year.

Japan University Accreditation Association (JUAA)

Japan University Accreditation Association (JUAA) was established in 1947. Since then, JUAA has consistently led the development and implementation of higher education quality assurance in Japan. JUAA encourages and supports universities’ improvement through accreditation and research.

In recent years, higher education has come to play a crucial role in supporting socio-economic growth and global competitiveness. At the same time, the demand for quality assurance of higher education institutions is increasing throughout the world. JUAA plays an important role as a quality assurance agency in Japan. JUAA will continue to strengthen cooperation and collaboration with higher education institutions and relevant organizations both in Japan and abroad to support higher education.

If you’re looking to bond with other students and have a practical and affordable place to live, a dormitory might be your best choice. Many language schools and universities with international programs provide special residence for foreign students. Their websites offer detailed instructions and materials for dormitory accommodation and financial information. In order to qualify to live at a dormitory, you’ll definitely need to have a visa and meet the application deadline. Other criteria and specific financial details differ with each language school and university, but generally speaking, will include:

  • Rent: ¥20,000 ~ ¥60,000 per month on average
  • Payments for: Deposit, Rent, Maintenance fees, Processing fees and Utility fees

Some dormitories include utility fees in the rental bill while others charge separately for electricity and water. Meal service fees can also be included in rent, but no-meal options are available as well. Since food accommodations aren’t as readily available in Japan as some other countries, you may find information about restrictions and allergies difficult to find. Directly contacting the dormitory or university will ensure that all of your needs will be met.

Although student dormitories operated by local governments and universities are available, approximately 75% of international students are living in dormitory, private houses or apartments. Once you receive your letter of acceptance, you should start gathering information about housing immediately. Some ways to this information includes: 1) your school’s international student office, 2) the Internet and informational magazines and 3) real estate agents in your areas you are interested in living in.

Student Dormitory:


  • Lower expenses compared to apartments (no need for shiki-kin [security deposit], rai-kin [gratuity money] or renewal fees)
  • Student dormitory rooms may come equipped with electric appliances and/or furniture.


  • Due to the limit numbers of rooms available, not all students can stay in dormitories.
  • Rules such as curfew and wake up time.
  • Shared kitchen, toilet and bathroom.



  • Your own life rhythm.
  • Development of sense of value of money.


  • In many cases, you will have to pay shi-kin (security deposit equal to few month’s rent, rei-kin (gratuity money), real estate agent’s commissions, or other fees in advance.
  • Complicated rental agreements.
  • Need to purchase all furniture and electrical appliances.

Joint guarantor:

A joint guarantor is required when renting an apartment in Japan. If you do not pay the rent on time or cause damage without paying for repairs, the landlord can demand that the joint guarantor pay for the overdue rent or repairs. There is a system in which school-related person’s (student office or teaching staffs) can serve as joint guarantor for international students with limited Japanese connections. A joint guarantor may not be needed if you conclude a contract that requires the payment of a guarantee charge.

Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan:

This insurance program, which is managed by the Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES) is designed to cover unexpected emergencies, such as fire, and to help an international student avoid unnecessarily inconveniencing his/her joint guarantor. To find out if you are eligible for this insurance program, please contact the school in which you are currently enrolled or will be enrolled.

Guidelines for monthly housing expenses:

Student dormitory: JPY 28,000 above

(For the JASSO Tokyo Japanese Language Education Center)

Apartment: Varies significantly depending on the popularity of station, the distance to the nearest train station, the age of the building, etc. In more rural areas, you may find an apartment for around JPY 30,000 to 40,000 a month, but within Tokyo JPY60,000 would be a reasonable target.

Taking out the garbage:

Japan has strict rules regarding garbage disposal, and failure to follow them can be a source of victim of conflict with neighbors. Be sure to separate your garbage properly and dispose of it in the specified location(s) at the specified times.

Points of accommodation search:

  • Rent and initial costs?
  • Distance from school and time required to reach the school?
  • Size and equipment of the room?
  • Convenience of surrounding environment (distance to public transport and convenience for shopping)?

National Health Insurance

In Japan, a national medical insurance system is available to reduce the medical costs. Foreign residents who will be staying in Japan for three months or more have to subscribe to the National Health Insurance program (NHI; also known as “Kokuho”).

Note: Students who will be studying in Japan for less than three months should contact the school where they will be studying.

Procedures for enrollment:

Register for the National Health Insurance at the municipal office after completing resident registration in your local municipal office.

Health Insurance premium:

The annual premium is about JPY 20,000 in most cases. The premium varies according to the municipality and your income. A premium reduction plan or support system may be available to students, so you should contact the municipal office.


When receiving treatment for injuries or illness, you have to present your insurance card to be eligible for the discounted payment. Since 70% of the total medical cost is covered by the National Health Insurance, you will need to pay 30% of the total medical bill. Take note that the medical costs for treatments not covered by the insurance schemes has to be paid in full at your own expense.

The National Health Insurance program has a system for refunding medical expenses that exceed your individual limit if your medical costs in a single month are high. In addition, if you need to be hospitalized, etc, you can apply for and receive an eligibility certificate that entitles you to receive the amount you pay at the hospital to you individual limit.

(1) What is National Health Insurance?

Japan’s National Health Insurance is a system under which the national government, local governments and individuals share medical expenses incurred in cases of illness or injury, so that individuals can feel free to consult health care professionals without worrying about excessive fees. International students are required to enroll in the National Health Insurance plan, as are Japanese citizens, in their municipality or ward of residence. If you belong to the plan, you will only be required to pay 30% of the total cost of treatment for illnesses or injuries. You will be free of worry about paying overly high medical costs.

(2) Enrollment procedures

You can enroll in the health insurance plan at the municipal or ward office in your municipality or ward of residence (where you are registered as a resident). Please do this when you submit a Moving-in Notification (“ten-nyu todoke”). When you enroll, you must show your Residence Card (“zairyu card”, the card replacing the Certificate of Alien Registration [“gaikokujin toroku shomeisho”]). After completing the procedure, you will receive a National Health Insurance card (“hokensho”). Please be absolutely sure to bring this card with you whenever you go to the doctor or hospital.

(3) Insurance payments

Insurance payment amounts differ depending on the municipality or ward. The higher your income, the higher the amount will be. International students who had no income in Japan in the previous fiscal year can apply for reduction of their insurance payments. If they meet the requirements, their annual payment will be reduced to approximately 10,000 yen per year (in the case of Hachioji City.) People who had incomes below a certain level may apply for reductions as well. When applying for reductions, it is necessary to report your income for the preceding fiscal year (scholarships do not count as income). For detailed information on how to apply for a reduction, please visit the appropriate section of your municipal or ward office. Please note that it is necessary to apply for a reduction anew every year.

(4) Change of residence

If you move to a different municipality or ward, you must return your Health Insurance Card to the municipality or ward you have been living in, and enroll in the National Health Insurance plan again in your new municipality or ward of residence.

Part-time Work:

Approximately 76% of privately financed international students in Japan are working part-time. They earn about JPY 90,000 per month on average. By sole depending on part-time work, it is impossible to cover all school expenses and cost of living. Be sure to make an appropriate financial plan so that you do not have to depend too much on income from part-time work.

Key points to consider when deciding on part-time work:

Do not get distracted from your purpose –studying in Japan- or work so hard that you damage your health.

  • Will this job hinder to your study?

Will you be affected the following day by working long hours or late at night?

  • Wages and payment method

Are your wages are paid daily, weekly or monthly? Are your wages are paid in cash or via bank transfer?

  • Is the work safe?

Is your working environment safe? Is there insurance against on-the-job accidents?

Ask the school you are enrolled in to provide you with information on good potential part-time jobs for you.

Types of part-time job in which international students are employed:

Types of part-time job in which international students are employed are as follows:

  1. Food and beverage
  2. Sales and marketing
  3. Teaching/ Research assistant
  4. Language instructor
  5. Hotel receptionist/ Service staff
  6. General clerical work

The students are paid JPY 800 to JPY 1400 or more according to their Japanese language ability and job profile.

Employment in Japan

“We would like to hire talented personnel regardless of nationality,” “We need personnel who can speak foreign languages and understand foreign situations,” “We would like to hire personnel with diverse background.” In Japan, there are a growing number of companies that operate in the line with these statements, and the hiring of international students is increasing. However, it is still not easy for an international student to be hired in Japan.

The Japanese government has established the portal site Open for Professionals within the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO – https://www.jetro.go.jp/en/hrportal/) supports international students who wish to work at Japanese companies. The site provides the following information:

  • Job fairs and internships offered by public agencies (you can register to participate on the site)
  • Companies where former international students are active:
  • Information about status of residence and public insurance systems in Japan
  • Consultation windows for assistance with labor issues.

To assist you in your job-seeking activities, the site also provides information and contacts for Japanese companies that are actively accepting foreign employees. Check out the site if you are interested in working Japan.

The Employment of International Students by Japanese Companies

The composition ratio by type of business (top 10) is presented below:

  • Commerce and trading
  • IT service
  • Food service
  • Education
  • Hotels and Inns
  • Machinery
  • Electrical appliances
  • Foods
  • Construction
  • Transportation

Change of status of residence

International students have to have their status of residence changed from “Student” to “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services,” etc, in order to work in Japan.

Please note the following points at right regarding the “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International service status of residence:

   1)Academic background


-Graduates of universities, junior colleges and colleges of technology.

-Graduates of professional training colleges in Japan who have obtained the academic title of “diploma.”

   2) Types of job to be engaged in

Emphasis is placed on whether the jobs are related to their majors. For instance, a person who is a fashion design graduate but opts to work as a computer programmer will have difficulty changing his/her status of residence.

   3) Salary

International students must receive a salary equivalent to or more than a Japanese employee.

   4) The actual situation of the employer

The companies international students plan to work for are required to have a stable management foundation and business performance.


  1. Junior colleges and graduate school. However, this does not include preparatory Japanese language program students, audit students, credit-earning students and research students.
  2. Limited to those who have acquired a diploma.
  3. You need to recommendation from the school.
  4. If you meet certain requirements, you can continue job-seeking activities even in your second year after graduation. Please contact a Regional Immigration Service Bureau for more information about requirements.

What to do if you cannot find a job?

Even if you are unable to find a job before graduation from the Japanese university or professional training college, you can still continue to engage in job-seeing activities in Japan for one more year after graduation by changing your status of residence from “Student” to “Designated Activities.” The period of stay of “Designated Activities” is six months, and as a rule, only one additional six month extension is allowed.


Internship is a system that allows students who are yet to graduate to gain experience in positions related to their future career or major by working in companies. Some universities recognize internships as part o education and give credit for it. Please inquire directly with the school about the availability of internship programs during your study in the school and the possibility of gaining credits. If the internship comes with an income, you need to obtain permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted. If you wish to do an internship that will require you work more than 28 hours per week, please apply for the permission to engage in activities other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted. This requires you to submit materials that make clear the nature of the internship to a regional immigration services bureau.

Difference between a part-time job and an internship:

Part-time job: Work in which you are paid money for your labor.

Internship: Work experience in which you are given a work opportunity that will be useful for your career plans etc. Internships are often unpaid.

How to find an Internship?

  • University career advising office: Be sure to check the office’s bulletin board regularly.
  • Job search websites: This site (jsite.mhlw.go.jp) posts many internships in various industries and occupations.
  • Dedicated Internship agents: These agents are highly knowledgeable about the companies seeking applicants for their internships, so mismatches between students and companies are much less likely.

Status of residence for students of foreign universities entering Japan for working on an Internship

When a student from a foreign university comes to Japan for internship based on a contract or agreement with a Japanese corporation or other such entity, as a part of the university’s credit-earning curriculum, the status of residence will be one of the following, depending on whether or not there is remuneration, and depending on the length of stay.

“Designated Activities,” “Cultural Activities,” or “Temporary Visitor.”

Bringing Dependents to Japan

Dependent spouses and children of international students who study under the status of residence of “Student” in universities can reside in Japan under the status of residence of “Dependent” based on the period of stay of the international student supporting them .It is recommended that international students bring their dependents after they are familiar with life in Japan and are economically stable.

Take note that it will be difficult for dependents to obtain the “Dependent” status of residence in Japan if the initial entry was as a “Temporary Visitor” (commonly referred to as the tourist visa).

A residence card (zairyu card) will be issued for a foreign national residing in Japan for more than three months. It is important that this residence card is carried at all times. Once the COE is issued, the visa application form can be submitted to the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country.

Issue of residence card

When entering Japan via New Chitose, Narita, Haneda, Chubu Centrair, Kansai, Hiroshima or Fukuoka Airport:

During the immigration process, a Landing Permission stamp will be affixed in your passport and a residence card will be issued. After you determine where you will live in Japan, please bring your residence card to the municipal office administering your address within 14 days to register as a resident. A residence card shall be issued to a foreign national who has stayed in Japan for a mid- to long term as a result of having obtained permits relating to the status of residence, such as a new landing permit, a permit for a change of the status of residence, and a permit for the extension of the period of stay (a mid- to long term resident). Therefore, a residence card has the nature of a certificate with which the Minister of Justice proves that the relevant foreign national legally stays in Japan with the status of residence that permits him/her to stay in Japan for a mid- to long term, up to the permitted period of stay. At the same time, a residence card, which is issued upon obtaining permits relating to the status of residence other than a landing permit, also has the nature of being a written permit, acting as a formal permit in lieu of seals for various permits previously affixed on a passport.

A residence card contains the important part of the personal information held by the Minister of Justice, such as name, birth date, gender, nationality/region of origin, address, status of residence, period of stay, and whether or not he/she can work. If there is any change in these matters, the relevant person is obliged to notify the change. Therefore, the latest information shall always be reflected in a residence card. A residence card for a person aged 16 or over also contains a photograph of his/her face.

A conventional alien registration certificate held by a mid- to long term resident shall be deemed equivalent to a residence card for a certain period of time, in procedures for departure from Japan with a Special Re-entry Permit or for other various applications to be filed at immigration bureaus, as well as in procedures for notification of domicile, etc. to be carried out at municipal government offices.

  1. School Materials
  2. Japanese language books
  3. Note book only for self study ( note book mostly provided by school)
  4. Pencils- Led pencil, eraser,  pencil sharpener etc
  5. College bag/ Laptop, Laptop Bag
  6. Others as per your need- school material
  7. Shoes- Minimum 3 pairs
  8. Socks- 5 to 10 pairs
  9. Jackets-2-3(winter season/ according to the place)
  10. Gloves -2–good quality ( winter season)
  11. Suits pants – ( During the college program)
  12. Purse for gents –
  13. Dress as per your need
  14. Belts( according to your preference)
  15. Comb, towel, shampoo, bath towel- ( according to needs gents/ ladies)
  16. Raincoat/ umbrella
  17. Spectacles
  18. Mask
  19. Mobile/Phone Charger
  20. Food items
  21. Pressure Cooker
  22. Lentils
  23. beaten paddy
  24. ghee
  25. Spices (masala)
  26. Pickles, noodles- (others stuff as per wish/need)
  27. Medicine- common cold, fever, headache etc
  28. Documents for Flight, Immigration and College
  29. Passport
  30. COE
  31. Admission Paper
  32. All Academic Documents- Original
  33. No Objection Certificate-Photocopy
  34. Completed Immigration Form
  35. Flight ticket
  36. Cash: 200,000 Yen